Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I Am What I Am

A curious peace has fallen over me of late, in spite of my self-propelled, self-contained darkness. I cannot say I am happy, but I have come to accept myself.

I am a monster.

I am a monstrous, vile and deeply flawed human being. I am selfish and evil in the worst way. If thinking evil thoughts were a crime, I would be hanged. I have done terrible things and hurt people I love. I have crossed dark lines and committed acts so foul as to be unspeakable. I deserve to be alone in darkness forever.

And I accept that.

I am what I am. I am a hideous monster, and I accept it, and strangely, it has brought me an odd tranquility. I cannot say I am happy. But looking in the mirror no longer horrifies me. I cannot explain it, except to say that I accept what I am.

No comments: